Thursday, June 5, 2008

Old Man Moose gets it done again

Ever since Mussina signed with the Yankees back in the winter of 2000 he has always been one of my favorites. Last night he showed me why again. He dominated the Blue Jays while never even touching 90 mph on the radar gun. His command was top notch and his movement was the best I've seen all season from him. On a night when the team needed him badly he really stepped up. Over 6 innings Moose allowed 5 hits, a walk and 1 run. He struck out 6 and only had about 3 balls hit hard off of him. At 9 & 4 with his ERA just over 4 he has been a great surprise for the Yankees. Most fans including myself didn't think he had this in him. Glad he has. The offense was pretty well spread out last evening. With the Yankees racking up 12 hits. Damon had a 3 for 4 night with an RBI and Matsui went 2 for 3 with a walk and a RBI. Damon is up to .310 while Hideki is leading the league with a .337 average. Betemit (who I singled out in yesterday's post) hit a line drive yankee stadium homer and Derek Jeter had a hit pushing him past Mickey Mantle on the all time Yankee hit list. The list reads Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth and Derek Jeter. Pretty sick company to be part of. With Jeter's track record he should pass Ruth this season. Its really only a matter of time before he is # 1 on that list. Its been a pleasure and a privilege to be able to watch Jeter day in and day out. Today the Yankees play an afternoon game and lucky for me I'm the only person in my office. I'll be sitting in front of the TV hoping to see Wang get back on the winning track. Since we just lost 3 in a row before lasts night win I'm guessing we will win today to get back to .500

No comments: